I recently wrote a post about how frustrating pregnancy can be, but I thought it was only fair to talk about some of the awesome things that have been happening to me as well. Pregnancy is a stressful time, but there’s also loads of amazing things to enjoy, and now I’m in my third trimester, I’m reflecting on how much I’ve actually enjoyed being pregnant!
Same disclaimer as my previous post applies – everyone experiences pregnancy differently – there will be women who love being pregnant and women who hate it. I’m not here to judge or comment, I’m just sharing my experiences in the hope you’ll enjoy them.
- Killer cleavage. My boobs grew RAPIDLY but they’ve stayed the same for the second trimester and I’ve kind of got used to having a cleavage. My lady lumps normally sit further apart, but now they’re nestled up close and I’m liking how it looks!
- Having a bump. Might sound like a strange one, but I like it now my bump is out there rather than hidden. It makes me feel powerful and feminine, like I’ve become a real woman. Sometimes I kind of forget I’m pregnant and then I catch a glimpse of my bump and it makes me smile (and also terrifies me slightly).
- Dryer skin / hair. I had oily / combination skin before being pregnant and I had to use a mattifying primer every day. I’ve not really experienced the genuine pregnancy glow, so I’m happy my skin is drier and I can now use all the beautiful illuminating primers I own! (Becca Backlight Priming Filter is the one). My hair is also dry, which has made it a bit knotty, but after a hefty trim at the hairdressers, I’m pleased with its condition and I only have to worry about washing it once a week at the MOST.
- New clothes. Very little of my pre-pregnancy clothing fits now, and I love me a good ASOS order, so I’ve enjoyed finding new pieces for summer that are based on pure comfort! I’m under no illusions about how quickly my body will fit back into my old clothes, so I plan on wearing my maternity clothes all summer long at least.
- Baby kicks. There is nothing quite like feeling baby kicks and squirms. Yes, there’s a slight twinge of anxiety with the first baby, wondering whether they’re kicking enough, but I can be having a rubbish day and feeling baby move never fails to cheer me up. It puts into perspective what’s important.
- Treat yo’self. Pregnancy can be tough – and I’m feeling it more than ever in my third trimester – so I’m giving myself a break and treating myself. I’m kind of conscious that it’s not all going to be about me when the baby’s here, so I’ll enjoy my freedom while I can! Whether it’s a slice of cake, a read in the bath or an early night, I’m in.
- Indulging my cravings. Kind of linked to the last one, but it’s quite liberating to give in to my cravings. All I’ve wanted to eat are ham sandwiches, crisps and sugar – chocolate AND sweets thank you very much. I’m enjoying them guilt free. What baby wants, baby gets!
As with my frustrations post, I’m sure there’ll be a tonne of other things I think of that I love about being pregnant once I’ve published! Please share anything you love about carrying a baby.
Mega thanks to Chloe Witty for taking the pics for this post.