One thing I always knew when it came to our wedding was that I wanted to do my make up myself. I even included it in a post I wrote about wedding traditions I would NOT be sticking to! The simple fact is, I know what suits me, I ain’t half bad at doing my own face and I could treat myself to a few new assets to my collection in the name of love. Or at least, that’s what I told myself.
*Disclaimer* – all of the pictures in this post were taken by our incredibly talented photographers, The Twins. Go check them out.
One of my friends Amy told me that, on her wedding day, she wanted to look like the best version of herself. And she looked smoking. So I decided to follow her advice and not go for anything mad that I wouldn’t normally wear.
For me, this meant a high coverage base, a light contour, pinky brown eyes and a natural looking lip. I don’t wear huge winged eyeliner or a bright red lip normally, so I didn’t want to try it for my wedding day. I wanted to look like me.
I dread to think how many individual products there were on my face. It probably cost me a fortune! But because I was sticking to my style, I knew that anything I wore on my wedding day I would wear on a normal day. So it felt like a decent investment to buy some new things.
- Primer – Too Faced Hangover Primer
- Foundation – Estée Lauder Double Wear
- Concealer – Collection Lasting Perfection
- Powder – Bare Minerals Mineral Veil
- Contour – Kat Von D Shade and Light Palette
- Blusher – BECCA x Jaclyn Hill Champagne Palette, Rose Spritz
- Highlight – BECCA x Jaclyn Hill Champagne Palette, Champagne Pop
- Brow Pencil – Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Definer, Medium Brown
- Brow Gel – Benefit – Ready, Set, Brow!
- Eye Shadow – Clinique All About Shadow, Daybreak
- Eye Shadow – Urban Decay, Naked 3 Palette
- Eyeliner – Givenchy Magic Kajal, Black
- Mascara – Guerlain Maxi Lash So Volume, Black
- Lipstick – Lipstick Queen, Frog Prince
- Setting Spray – NYX Matte Finishing Spray
- Dolce & Gabanna – The One
Wow, that is one hell of a list of products! It sounds like a VERY expensive face of make up, but the only pieces I bought specifically for the wedding were my Guerlain mascara, the BECCA palette (sadly now sold out) and the NYX setting spray. All the other pieces I already owned and I still use everything in the list above!
I know that doing your own wedding day make up isn’t right for everyone, but it really suited me to know I was in control of how I would look on my big day. And I felt fantastic.
Would you do your own wedding day make up?